Read the latest construction update report from the Cordell research team.
The 175 strong research team at Cordell have identified the following major construction projects across the country.
Download the report for a full summary or click on your state to see a few of the construction projects planned:
- The NSW government has approved a further ‘rapid build’ prison, the third of four dormitory-style correctional facilities. The facility, able to hold 400 maximum security inmates, will be situated on the same site as the Emu Plains Correctional Centre but will operate as a separate entity. Each of the rapid build prisons has four wings each with four pods of 25 inmates. Hansen Yuncken will build the first facility at Wellington; Lendlease will be managing contractor for the second at Cessnock, whilst the fourth site is yet to be determined.
- A planning proposal from developer Statewide Planning has been approved for a 43 storey residential and commercial tower in Parramatta. Formerly zoned commercial, it is now a condition that four storeys of the tower have to be dedicated to commercial and retail use.
- Also in Parramatta, Dyldam has acquired the 3,306 sq m Thomson Ford car dealership site. The current planning proposal has gateway approval for a 35 storey residential tower and a new 3 storey Albion Hotel; however the sale is not subject to the planning proposal.
- Tenders have been called for Visionary Investment Group’s Banksmeadow project which has Stage 1 development approval for 244 apartments & townhouses, and also for a further three developments in Epping for 133 units, 254 apartments & retail and 90 apartments respectively; whilst tenders for the Summer Hill Flour Mill site are expected to be called next month.
- The Star Entertainment Group has announced an architectural design competition for a new hotel and 150-apartment tower development to be built within the existing Star Sydney footprint.
A number of new developments are set to revitalise Canberra’s Northbourne Avenue corridor. Development applications submitted to the ACT Planning and Land Authority this month include a $41 million, 9 storey 209 apartment development in Turner designed by Stewart Architecture from developer by the Art Group which will replace an existing four storey office building. The company has also recently acquired a further site on Northbourne Avenue in Dickson with plans for a 697 unit mixed use precinct including a hotel.
- Other projects in the pipeline for Northbourne Avenue include a 350 apartment and hotel development on the former NMRA House site.
- Development approval has been given this month to the Ballarat Station Precinct upgrade projects. The $50 million project with funding of $25 million from the state government will see the precinct possibly containing a hotel and convention centre with retail & restaurants together with improving the Station for commuters.
- The shortlisted consortia have been announced this month for the High Capacity Signalling for the Metro Tunnel Rail Systems Alliance. The project worth
an estimated $1 billion worth of communications & signalling systems for the new Sunbury to
Pakenham line that. The two shortlisted companies are a consortium of CPB Contractors & Bombardier Transportation & The MetroConnect consortium consisting of John Holland, Siemens & UGL.
- Further news in transport infrastructure this month with the preferred contractor named for the Hurstbridge Rail Line Upgrade.
- The Port of Melbourne has been leased for more than $9.7 billion for a period of 50 years Lonsdale who have leased the port will be responsible for the Harbour Master, Station Pier & maintenance of public walkways & bike paths.
- The 4.3 hectare Fitzroy Island Resort on the Great Barrier Reef has been listed for sale with development approvals and plans for up to 75 additional rooms, bar and restaurant for day trippers and various infrastructure.
- The Queensland government announced that Australian Unity was the winning tenderer of a new $1.1 billion health precinct at Herston.
- A revised Development Application has been submitted with a new name and height for a development at 3 Trickett Street in Surfers Paradise.
- TThe Royal Hobart Hospital development project has various tender packages available this month for trades & services. The overall project is being constructed by Fairbrother & John Holland.
- Argyle Street Mixed Use Development project has closed tenders this month with a contract award for the $30 million project expected in November this year. The development is for construction of a new hotel and retail spaces.
- Ingham’s is expanding its facilities in several areas of South Australia.
- The Torrens Rail Junction Upgrade estimated at $443 million, has gone to tender.
- Preferred Developer, AV Jennings and the National Trust are working on a joint business case for the future redevelopment and conservation of the heritage-listed Fort Largs Buildings.
- Although the Planning Development Approval has lapsed recently on the development for a shopping centre/supermarket at The Parade Norwood, a spokesperson from Coles said the company still intends to proceed and are finalizing plans to resubmit a new Development Application by the end of the year.
- Tenders were called during September, for the new Adelaide CBD High School in Frome Road, Adelaide.
- The Port Augusta Prison additional accommodation project of approx. $41 million has been let to Mossop Construction & Interiors.
- The proposed construction of a second SAHMRI Research Institute has been deferred.
- Numerous tenders have been reported this month for housing upgrades in particular Remote Community Housing.
- There have also been several road upgrades progressing throughout various areas but not on a large scale.
- The policy surrounding Development Contributions made to community infrastructure has been amended this month with public consultation currently underway creating a more consistent process across the state.
- The West Australian Government have announced the sale of 2 lots next to the Perth Arena to Fare East Consortium International Ltd who intend to build a 250 room Doresett Hotel on the parcel of land together with 350 apartments.
- It is expected that another four lots at Perth City Link would be marketed for sale over the coming months providing developers with new opportunities to develop in the area.
- The Goldfields Highway upgrade from Wiluna to Meekartharra will be able to complete the final works on the last unsealed section with assistance from a grant from the Royalties for Regions fund and a strong partnership between local councils & the National Government.
- This month in Western Australia a New Land Access Working Group has been established to review land access issues.
- The Nolans rare earth project (Arafura Resources) was recently awarded major project facilitation by the Government recently which may help with fast tracking the project through approvals and through to construction.