Much has been written on how to seal the deal with any client, but it really comes down to one word – trust. If they trust you, they will do it; if they don’t, they won’t.
Now of course some deals are done despite the agent, but this is hardly a way to build your reputation and career. Everything you do should go towards being believed when it counts. Here are some tips:
Firstly, trust for an agent is dependent upon credibility. This means you need to be perceived as the expert in your particular patch. You should know everything about your area, its demographics, sales and rentals (and that’s easy with RP Data at your fingertips, isn’t it?), as well as about finance, contracts, and so forth.
Secondly, trust is built on meeting expectations. If you say you will do something, but are late, or have to be reminded, you will have reduced your trustworthiness. Fortunately for an agent, you can set the expectations in the form of a series of steps – this will happen, then this and this and then we will sell.
Thirdly, you must be a nice person. This is often overlooked, but people do business with people whom they like. This should not be confused with being a pushover, or with pretending to be someone whom you are not. But you can easily build trust by taking a genuine interest in them.
Finally, you must be honest and fair in all your dealings. In this business, it’s all too easy to exaggerate and dissemble, and even to delude yourself that it’s Ok and justifiable. It isn’t and it will come back to bite you.
To sum up, if you are perceived to be the expert, do what you say you will do, and act nicely and fairly towards all parties, you will have the authority to put the deal together at the appropriate time. You will be trusted to be the ‘honest broker’.
Dr Gil Davis is now a university lecturer, but for twenty-five years he was one of Australia’s most successful real estate agents. He wrote the top-selling book Sell for More, packed full of useful tips for agents, which you can purchase on-line through Harper Collins.
Notes from the editor:
Build trust with client using the right property tools
- Set realistic listing prices by using the available tools in your RP Data subscription. Sit down with your vendor and go through the listings and comparable process step by step to both reach a realistic sales price. If you have an iPad, download RP Data’s pre-listings presentation app, rp.lister FREE.
- Generate rp.autoval reports to gain more insights in to the value of the property based on similar attributes and recent sales in the area
- Create custom reports based on the strengths of the property, such as a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) report, Rental CMA, Suburb Statistics report, Auction Clearance Rates report, On The Market report or Recent Sales report. All report available in rp.professional and can be generated in a professional, template report in minutes. View your rp.professional screen shot below.
- Showcase your expertise in the market and grow your prospect database with your personalised RP Data website. rp.connect lets you run your own landing page portal to hosts your business Facebook posts, tweets, YouTube videos, current listings, recent sales, client testimonials and weekly blogs. rp.connect is also ranked in web searches such as Google, which gives you more exposure to potential buyers or sellers searching online in your local area.
- Master your property knowledge by using the latest features available to you in rp.professional. We encourage you to take advantage of our free training and get the most out of our property system. Get training or call 1300 734 318.