Selling for the first time in over three decades is the Peejays Building at 52 William Street, Sydney. It was sold by private company, Peejays Developments Pty Ltd, which is almost wholly owned by Peter Weinert of Rose Bay. The company bought the building in 1992 for $4 million and have sold it to The Trustees of the Roman Catholic Church for the Archdiocese of Sydney for $102.3 million!
The perhaps soon to be renamed Peejays Building is a nine-storey, inter-war functionalist style office building with 19 secure car parks to the rear. It was built in 1941 and was designed by the architectural practice of Stephenson and Turner with Arthur Baldwinson, for the Head Office of glass manufacturers, Australian Consolidated Industries. Perhaps in keeping with its then owner, the architects made extensive use of glass with eight storeys clad in burgundy glass mosaic tiles and horizontal glass block sections on each floor. With a net lettable area of 5,508 sqm, it has typical floor plates of 639 sqm. Though not a new building, it has a 4-Star NABERS rating. Tenants include Conybeare Morrison, PMA Valuations, Leverage Technologies and The Australian Centre for Social Innovation.
The now $100 million plus building is listed in the RAIA Registry of Significant 20th Century Buildings.