Being offered for sale for the first time in over 100 years is the Lane Cove maize mill on 2.9 hectares of land overlooking the Lane Cove River. Located at 170 Epping Road, Lane Cove West the site is currently occupied by various warehouse and factory buildings of one and two storeys, a three-storey office building used for administration, large silos and production facilities and various yards used for parking. The mill is set to close in January of 2020.
Originally known as the Chicago Starch Mills, the facility opened in 1894 in buildings originally used for bone dust manufacture and produced laundry starch and cornflour. Harry Clifford Love initially leased this site from a Mrs Sidney Brodie Whatmore and later purchased it in 1908. With little access roads, transport to and from the mill was by boat and the original power for the mill was steam produced from coal.
The facility was sold in 1966 then was bought from Goodman Fielder Maize Products for $12 million by Starch Australasia Ltd. Starch was acquired by Penford Corporation in 2000
and was acquired by its current owner, Ingredion, in 2014. Ingredion is a leading global ingredient solutions provider.
The site is being marketed as a development site and although it would require rezoning, the site has 320 metres of water frontage and would be ideal for a residential development.