I’m sure there are a few vendors and buyers out there who could write this column after their experiences. And I’m sure they (mostly) don’t apply to you, but just in case…
Thou shalt not:
- Ever stop prospecting
- Go to an appraisal unprepared (what could be more important than getting a listing?)
- Prepare your advertising at the last minute
- Think that the solicitor has got the contract ready without being prodded
- Fail to ring back everyone who inspects (“They’ll call if they’re interested” loses you buyers and prospective vendors)
- Put off ringing the vendor with an update (even if you’ve only got bad news)
- Lie to anyone (that includes buyers, sellers and your boss – seriously your reputation means everything)
- Hope a sale will exchange instead of making it happen
- Murder clients (even if you feel they deserve it)
- Delude yourself
You may wonder why I’ve chosen ‘deluding yourself’ as the cardinal sin, but in my experience it is the number one failing among agents. It is always easier to blame someone else or circumstances than yourself. Face it – if you lost the listing or the sale it’s because you weren’t good enough. Work out what went wrong and make sure you never repeat it.
Dr Gil Davis is now a university lecturer, but for twenty five years he was one of Australia’s most successful real estate agents. He wrote the top-selling book Sell for more, packed full of useful tips for agents, which you can purchase on-line through Harper Collins.
Notes from the editor:
It is always a nice head check to read these types of messages as it reminds us of some of the things we promised ourselved we wouldn’t do. Get back on track with a few powerful features that are easy to run and will keep your prospecting more efficient. Territory Builder and rp.prospector are in the rp.professional property system and are simple to use. Try them out today over a coffee. Also while you’re here take a look at our new CRM system which is powered by the rpdata property system.
- Territory builder – Map out your local area spots to create a territory. You can then use these saved territories in across your search tabs to identify those On The Market, Recently Sold and For Sale etc. Create up to 5 territories and up to 10,000 properties in each territory. Read a great article here or watch the tutorial video below
- rp.prospector – Find leads, withdrawn listings and listings over 60 days in the rp.professional property system. Watch a quick 2 minute video here
- rp.agent achieve – You have the contacts, we have the properties! Streamline your workflows and increase efficiencies with an all-in-one agency management and productivity tool. Read more here
For more insights in to what you can achieve through the rp.professional property system we offer free classroom and webex online training. Check out or training schedule here or call us on 1300 734 318. While you’re still reading have a browse through our video library here and log in to rp.professional.