How to best market yourself as an agent…And why marketing yourself is like going on a diet
Most agents know they need to be considered ‘credible’ and ‘trustworthy’ if they want to get listings. But how does this happen? More to the point, what can you do to foster a positive public perception?
Let me start by asking why people should want to use you? Presumably you’ll tell me because you ‘get results’; you are honest (I hope); you have wonderful marketing strategies; you live locally and/or are involved in the community etc.
But let’s be honest. Every agent claims some or all of these virtues, and not all are equally successful. The difference lies largely in their ability to credibly communicate their attributes to potential customers.
Image is everything in marketing. Make no mistake, you are a product, a brand, that has to be marketed if you wish to succeed. There is a tried and proven strategy:
- Become the local expert – people expect you to know more than they do about the area and the market. This is so easy with RP Data but you have to constantly put in the effort to get the up-to-date information.
- Tell them in writing – people are much more likely to believe something they read backed by credible statistics. Show them price movements, sales, rental returns, and what you do for the community. You should regularly send out newsletters every two or three months, plus DL cards on sales, invitations to open-houses, and so forth.
- Look the part – you must be professional in everything you do and everywhere you are seen. What little secrets does your facebook page let slip?
None of this is rocket science but beware – there is a problem. The strategy only works effectively when it is followed continuously. Most agents start off strongly. They get busy. Somehow they forget to plan the next newsletter…
It’s just like going on a diet. If you don’t stick to it, it won’t work.
Dr Gil Davis is now a university lecturer, but for twenty five years he was one of Australia’s most successful real estate agents. He wrote the top-selling book Sell for more, packed full of useful tips for agents, which you can purchase on-line through Harper Collins.
Notes from the editor:
To support Gil’s key bullet points, there are many value added reports at your disposal to maintain this strategy. Utilise RP Professional to generate customised branded reports, statistical data and property research articles.
- Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) reports
- Automated Valution (AVM) reports
- Suburb Statistics reports
- Rental CMA reports
- On The Market reports
- and many more. View our video library here.
RP Data also distribute their online Property Pulse newsletter to its subscribers which you can pass on to your clients. If you are not receiving the weekly Property Pulse via email call us and we will add you to our mailing list.
For more information on our many features and reports available in RP Professional call us on 1300 734 318 or register for our FREE classroom and online webex training, hosted by an RP Data training specialist.